The Finance Division derives its core mandate from the Public Financial Management Act, (ACT 921, 2016) and other financial laws of Ghana. The Division also conducts financial management using the Accounting Treasury and Financial Rules and Instructions (the accounting manual) of the Ministry of Health.
The mandate is to provide direction, expertise and implement work activities to assist management to establish a robust financial management system with the capability to:
- Secure and ensure sound and efficient management of the financial resources of the Service,
- Effectively report and account for the available financial resources,
- Ensure discipline in the execution of approved budgets, assist management to review, design and implement internal controls to ensure proper use, accounting and reporting for funds and to achieve full compliance to relevant laws, policies and procedures,
- Provide information to assist management to make sound decisions, and
- Ensure the effective utilization and functioning of approved financial management software and electronic platforms and assist management to establish and implement effective risk management practices
The vision of the Division is to be a leader in the provision of Financial Management Services in the Public Sector in Ghana – by having in place an efficient and effective financial management system to help management to properly account for financial resources and to make prompt, accurate and timely decisions to judiciously utilize available funds.
The Division is headed by a Director and has the following three Departments under it.
- Financial Reporting and Analysis Department
- Treasury Department
- Financial Information Systems Management (FISM) Department
Each of the Department is headed by a Deputy Director who reports directly to the Divisional Director.