Nursing and Midwifery Practice is the pivot of the health delivery system in Ghana. It focuses on the care of individuals, families and communities in order to attain, maintain or recover optimal health. The importance of nursing and midwifery in the health sector cannot be overemphasized since its scope spreads to the lowest level of service delivery.
The Office of the Director, Nursing and Midwifery operates on both strategic and operational mandates at the local and international levels in accordance health policies. At the policy implementing level, the Office seeks to continuously develop, adopt and review policies to structure and guide nursing and midwifery practice across the nation.
The Office has Three (3) Functional Units:
The Quality Management and Nursing and Midwifery Audits Unit.
This Unit focuses on developing and building the capacity of nursing leaders and managers on quality planning, quality assurance, quality control and quality improvement strategic implementation within the nursing and midwifery profession and services.
Standards and Advocacy Unit,
This Unit develops and reviews nursing and midwifery practice (Care) standards in collaboration with the Nursing and Midwifery Council.
Nursing Informatics/Research Unit,
This unit ensures adoption of appropriate strategies to generate nursing and midwifery data for research.
A future where the profession and the practice of nursing and midwifery contributes to the overall achievement of the broad sector goals of the health system and is optimized in policy development and implementation.
Committed to improving the health of the citizenry by providing the highest quality of nursing and midwifery care through evidence-based practices, proficient; competency skills in a caring and healing environment.
Professional nursing and midwifery practice exhibits;
- Excellent clinical practice,
- Ethical healthcare,
- Engagement and loyalty,
- Evidence based research,
- Financial Stewardship.
- To continuously improve upon the standard of Nursing and Midwifery practice across the country.
- To ensure optimal patient care through objective, systematic monitoring, establishment of standards and criteria-based evaluations.
- To collaborate in the recruitment, development and retention of top-quality nurses, whilst providing robust learning experiences for student nurses.
- To ensure that the competency of all staff is assessed, maintained, demonstrated and continually improved.
- To create and maintain a progressive environment that fosters creativity, encourages personal and professional growth, unity and displays the performance of service standards.
- To develop and promote tele-nursing and midwifery across the entire nation.
Functional Responsibility and Authority:
Technical Advisor to the Director General of the Ghana Health Service on Nursing and Midwifery.