The Division leads the technical process for formulating plans and carrying out trends assessment for Ghana Health Service by drawing on relevant sources of information to analyze the overall performance of the Service and monitor progress in implementing key policies.
The objectives of the Division are:
- To ensure the development of comprehensive operational policies, sustainable strategic plans, systems, programmes, and budgets to cover all activities of the GHS and its partners.
- To develop an integrated Health Information System for decision-making performance monitoring.
- To design and apply monitoring and evaluation systems and tools for purposes of assessing the operational effectiveness of programmes.
- To initiate or support the development of new products (international/local) based on credible research for the advancement of the objectives of the Ghana Health Service.
The Division is headed by a Director and has three Departments under it. Each of the Department is headed by a Deputy Director who reports directly to the Divisional Director.
Functions of the Policy, Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Division
- Collaborating and coordinating the development of operational plans and policies at all levels in GHS;
- Developing indicators for monitoring policy implementation and for assessing equity and efficiency in the distribution of resources;
- Reviewing and developing health financing strategies;
- Translating operational policies and objectives into proposals for resource allocation.
- Identifying needs in relation to the development of management and support systems throughout the Ghana Health Service and provide support for system development;
- Co-ordinating and conducting research into health issues.
- Promoting the appropriate use of research findings for planning;
- Preparing and updating guidelines for planning at all levels of the GHS;
- Coordinating the preparation of short, medium- and long-term plans and synthesizing these plans into an integrated Ghana Health Service development plan.
- Developing medium- and long-term health sector financial plans consistent with existing Government policy;
- Analyzing trends in the allocation and disbursement of funds within the Ghana Health Service;
- Directing the development of unit costing for Ghana Health Service programmes and services;
- Ensuring the setting up of a health and management information system for planning, monitoring and evaluation in the GHS;
- Monitoring the implementation of health policies within the GHS, the utilization of health resources, and the attainment of targets coverage, utilization of services and health status;
- Coordinating the publication of documents relating to Ghana Health Service activities (annual reports) and other periodic reports and properly document and ensure that relevant information is disseminated;
- Ensuring that current and prospective donors to the sector have access to adequate information about the policies of the Ghana Health Service and its priority needs;
- Ensuring the development and review of proposals for external funding for the Ghana Health Service;
- Developing systems for the monitoring and evaluation of externally funded programmes and projects which are consistent with the Ghana Health Service’s own framework for monitoring and evaluation