Regional Director of Health Service, Central Region
The Regional Health Directorate (RHD) is headed by Dr (Mrs) Akosua A Owusu-Sarpong, the Regional Director of Health Service. He is assisted by four Regional Deputy Directors comprising Deputy Director Public Health, Deputy Director Clinical Care, Deputy Director Health Administration and Support Services and Deputy Director Finance. Under each Deputy Director are administrative and technical staff of various qualifications with the responsibility of coordinating health programmes/projects, and technical/administrative units of the RHD.
The RHD is responsible for policy dissemination, stakeholder dialogue, capacity-building, coordination of planning and implementation of health policies and programmes in the region. The Departments under the RHD provide technical support, monitoring and supervisory functions of health services delivered at the district, sub-district, and community level in the region.
Our vision as RHD is to improve performance and health outcomes through excellence in health service delivery. The pillars of the excellence are:
(1) Quality and Safety (enhancing population / patient experience / satisfaction, continuous improvement in care (capacity building etc), incident reporting and investigation)
(2) Service (improving access to services and facilities, focusing on customer care, monitoring of service provision, clinical audits, mortality audits etc)
(3) People/community (employee engagement and communication at all levels, employee reward and recognition programmes, raising awareness about diversity and Community engagement)
(4) Financial (programmes and plans to generate revenues, efficient use of resources, fund raising for development)
(5) Growth (venturing into new areas/ services, branding or repackaging and focusing on partnerships and affiliations)
Under the RHD, we have 22 Metro/ Municipal/ District Health Directorates headed by Metro / Municipal / District Directors of Health Service who provide supervision, technical and management support as well as champion the implementation of health policies and programmes in the districts and sub-districts within the region.
In terms of service delivery, we have a total of 618 health facilities, out of which CHPS facilities constitute 414, Health Centers and Clinics are 132, maternity homes are 25, hospitals and polyclinics are 45, one (1) Regional Hospital and one (1) Teaching hospital.
As the body responsible for health services in the region, the RHD maintains close links with all other agencies of the Ministry of Health, the local government system, traditional authorities, and other stakeholders in health including development partners, and civil society in the region.